Someone likes me!
Since I started writing Garden in a City back in January, I’ve found that I like garden blogging much more than I expected. Among the things I like are all the ways that this virtual community finds to express appreciation as well as increase mutual awareness. For example, I like the various collegial awards that we present to each other.
One reason I like these awards is that I’ve just been nominated for two of them (the Sunshine Award, and the Beautiful Blogger Award) by one of the bloggers I enjoy following, Garden Sunshine, an avid Canadian gardener with a young family. Now, receiving this type of award does not mean that your blog has been judged outstanding by some panel of worthies. It just means that at least one other blogger thinks you’re doing a good job.
But that’s more than good enough for me! I’ve felt for a long time that most people just don’t get enough recognition in this life, and I think this sad fact applies particularly well to myself. So thanks, Garden Sunshine!
To claim these awards, you have to do some homework, namely, write something about yourself and nominate some other blogs to receive the same awards.
So here goes. The Sunshine Award asks the following:
- Favorite Number: Anything but one, which is the loneliest number.
- Favorite Non-Alcoholic Drink: Fresh pomegranate juice.
- Favorite Animal: Downy Woodpeckers. They are tough (can keep the house sparrows in line) yet comical.
- Facebook or Twitter: A little of each, not much of either.
- My Passion: Native wildflowers.
- Favorite Day of the Week: Any day I can avoid going to the office.
- Favorite Flower: Anise Hyssop. No, Swamp Milkweed. No, Butterflyweed …
Now for the Beautiful Blogger Award, which wants seven interesting facts about myself.
1. If you took all the papers piled on my desk at work and laid them end to end, they would circle the earth three times.
2. I have a private nickname for every gas station on I-55 between Chicago and Springfield, Illinois.
3. When Judy wasn’t around, I used to give the kids canned ravioli for breakfast.
4. I have an inexplicable desire to visit all the breakaway regions of the former Soviet Republics. (Nagorno-Karabak, anyone?)
5. I was once stupid enough to drive from Bismark, ND, to Pierre, SD, in January. During a snowstorm.
6. Favorite movie: Action on the North Atlantic with Humphrey Bogart.
7. Favorite novel: Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie.
Now, as to my nominees.
For the Sunshine Award:
- Gail at Clay and Limestone
- Dee at Reddirtramblings
- Rachelle at Talking to Plants.
- Peter at Outlaw Garden.
- Holleygarden at Dreaming of Roses.
For the Beautiful Blogger Award:
- Karin at Southern Meadows.
- Birdwoman at Gardening with Nature.
- Julie at A Suburban Wilderness.
I sincerely encourage you to take a look at these blogs, which feature very fine writing, outstanding photography, or both – and all reflect a deep knowledge of and an entertaining and stimulating take on gardening and related topics.